The Silent Woman

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Thu Apr 3 10:05:17 EDT 2008

    Thanks Ben!  Right on.

    Some times I wonder if you are just the Internet representative of
30 brilliant software guys who standby in a secret room waiting for a
problem to pounce on.  It seems like too much detail to carry around in
one head.  (Be careful.  A guy in Russia learned too much and his head
exploded.  I read about it in The Star.)

    I like your clear, stepwise analytic approach too.  Too bad we can't
make you into an electronic or mechanical engineer.  They are
disappearing fast with no American replacements - well we are producing
people with degrees, but they are nowhere near equipped to do
engineering.

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 20:30, Ben Scott wrote:
>   I don't think it's a corrupt binary, per se.  It seems too
> well-behaved a problem for that.  However, I do suspect it may be
> package related.  SASL is modular, and perhaps SuSE packages some of
> the authentication mechanisms separately, and you don't have those
> packages installed.  A Google search for that error message seems to
> find others have similar symptoms with that cause.
>
>   Does SuSE give you a way to of search their package repository for
> "sasl"?  If so, do so, and install any likely suspects.  For example,
> on the Fedora 8 system I'm typing this on:
>
> 	yum list *sasl*
>
> yields several packages, including "cyrus-sasl-md5" and
> "cyrus-sasl-plain", each of which implement an authentication
> mechanism.

    Since it would be a package not included in the installation, I
searched the names in the installation DVD rpm directory.  It came up
with: cyrus-sasl, cyrus-sasl-crammd5, cyrus-sasl-digestmd5,
cyrus-sasl-plain, cyrus-sasl-gssapi, cyrus-sasl-sqlauxprop, qca-sasl.

    Only the first was installed on the computer that would not send.
The computer that was working had the first 4 installed.  ("plain" was
the one mv needs.)

    That was it.

    Thanks to the lug members for all the other suggestions too.  Any of
them could have been the key.

Jim Kuzdrall