The Silent Woman

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Apr 3 13:06:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Jim Kuzdrall <gnhlug at intrel.com> wrote:

>    Thanks Ben!  Right on.
>

>    I like your clear, stepwise analytic approach too.  Too bad we can't
> make you into an electronic or mechanical engineer.  They are
> disappearing fast with no American replacements - well we are producing
> people with degrees, but they are nowhere near equipped to do
> engineering.

Lots of electronics are now being done in software instead of solder.  And
lots of mechanical stuff is being replaced with software controlled motors.

Today you might have a PIC chip with some code replacing a board of TTL
logic.

I'm guessing that the software approach does not have the "Factor of safety"
values, reliability factors and failsafes in it that my engineering classes
taught.  It's still a new field IMHO and that kind of vigor is not
standard.  It's still a craft in some ways.  I'm not even sure how you'd put
that kind of vigor into it.