History of FOSS and stuff

David J Berube djberube at berubeconsulting.com
Fri Apr 4 09:28:31 EDT 2008

Paul Lussier wrote:
 > Note, I'm not arguing that rms has not done great things, but he most
 > emphatically did not invent the concept of FOSS, nor did he write the
 > ls command.

He certainly didn't invent OSS, but he certainly invented the concept of
"free software" as he and similar advocates use it - the F in FOSS. It's
based on previous concepts, but his particular notion of it, whether you
agree with it or not, is definitely his, and, given the high adoption of
the GPL, that's a big deal. (Wikipedia says 65% of the projects on
Freshmeat are GPL, making them free software under Stallman's definition.)

Take it easy,

David Berube
Berube Consulting
djberube at berubeconsulting.com