History of FOSS and stuff (was: The Silent Woman)

Coleman Kane cokane at cokane.org
Fri Apr 4 10:47:21 EDT 2008

David W. Aquilina wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 08:21:39AM -0400, Tom Buskey wrote:
>
>> I downloaded 0.1 of Jolitz on 30-40 5.25" floppies and it wouldn't boot on
>> my system.  OS/2 wouldn't either.  Then I got Linux and it booted and ran.
>> If FreeBSD had cleaned up the Jolitz version sooner, Linux might not have
>> gained its foothold.
>>

> I'd venture a guess that the AT&T lawsuit had a very significant impact on the adoption rate of BSD vs. Linux in the early days.

Indeed it did. This is one of the predominant reasons why Linux
implemented their own TCP/IP stack and filtering, rather than bringing
in the widely-accepted-as-superior-at-the-time Berkeley stack and BPF.
It is also probably a big reason why GNU Hurd was so slow to get the
missing parts (and thus, Linux was chosen as the kernel).

--
Coleman Kane