low power linux PC?

Bob King bob.king.1138 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 23:10:03 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I suspect the hard drives will be pushing things.  Figure 15 watts
> per disk.

Startup  watts for the laptop drive I used in my new router was 4.5 watts.
You pay more for a laptop drive, but the power usage is certainly lower...as
is the max storage available on each drive.

I used a VIA C7 board at 1.2GHz with twin Gb NICs. During boot, the system
peaks at 35 watts. Have not run any numbers on throughput yet.

You can get a pretty decent server with a light appetite for power.