low power linux PC?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Apr 8 15:45:40 EDT 2008

Thanks for the feedback on the Green drives.  Good to hear!

On Apr 8, 2008, at 09:01, Star wrote:

> Since we're using them primarily as NFS mounts over Gigabit Ethernet,
> the bottleneck hasn't been the I/O.  They're currently configged in
> RAID-10 (software) with ext3 FS's.

Yeah, and that's a good strategy for dealing with slow drives - RAID
1 or 10 helps ameliorate their slow seeks.  With the ariel density
these days I don't think rotation speed is so important anymore for
transfer, at least for the average case, but the seek can still hurt.

I read earlier that even thought they're billed as "5400-7200 RPM"
drives, they're either 5400 or 7200 depending on model.  WD seems to
obfuscate what's really going on, at least without having dug deep
into spec sheets.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/