YAQ Setting up vncviewer

Labitt, Bruce labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com
Tue Apr 8 17:05:58 EDT 2008

Comments below.

________________________________

From: tbuskey at gmail.com [mailto:tbuskey at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Tom Buskey
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 4:49 PM
To: Labitt, Bruce
Cc: Greater NH Linux User Group
Subject: Re: YAQ Setting up vncviewer

2008/4/8 Labitt, Bruce <labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com>:

YAQ... :)

I'd like to vnc from my centos4.5 box (so far) to a ps3 running YDL6.  I can ssh from centos to ydl without a problem.  However, when I try to vnc from centos to ydl I get

Main: unable to connect to host:  No route to host (113)

Is vncserver running on ydl? (I know, but start at the basics)[Labitt, Bruce]  Yes, see below.
Which port is vncserver offering (5901?)[Labitt, Bruce]  I believe 5901 since it was assigned :1

Is ydl running a local firewall blocking the port?[Labitt, Bruce]  I don’t think so, how can I check?  I did not set one up.
Is vncviewer going to the right port?  (:1 is 5901, :2 is 5902, etc)[Labitt, Bruce]  Yes.  I entered xx.xx.xx.xx:1
Is there a local firewall on the centos running?[Labitt, Bruce]  No.  I did not set one up for the internal network.

Try telnet ydl 5901.  You should see this if you get through:
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to ydl.
Escape character is '^]'.
RFB 003.008
[Labitt, Bruce]  I get ydl:5901/telnet:  Name or service not known

I can telnet from ydl to centos!

	This is on a local network, so there is only a local dhcp server handing out ip's.  There is no nameserver.

	I can ping from centos to ydl and vice versa.  Any ideas on what to look for?  I am running vncserver on ydl, although it seems to make no difference on the centos to ydl vncviewer error output.

	TIA,
	Bruce