New distro question

Frank DiPrete fdiprete at comcast.net
Tue Apr 8 19:43:45 EDT 2008

Labitt, Bruce wrote:
> I realize this is / was / will be a religious argument, but I'm having
> trouble with this distribution of Centos on my computer.

Please refer to all comments as "in my opinion" to avoid jihads.

   I was
> wondering if there was a distro more up to date and was suited for
> scientific calculations.
>
> I'm familiar with FC6, due to a myth install (thanks Jarod, Ben et al)
> so I would not mind installing FC8.  I'm not interested in FC9 only due
> to the fact that it hasn't been released yet, and I want something
> relatively stable.  I have downloaded FC8 and opensuse10.3.  Any others
> I should consider?

I am running fc7 on latops desktops and servers at home.

The only problem I have is evolution-alarm-notify which crashes when
launched from the session. bugs logged all over the net on this one and
it's not fedora specific. oh - and my pp port scanner hasn't worked
since fc4. I haven't tried fc8 yet. the livna repo has all the
multimedia stuff not included with distro.

I also work with Debian etch *release* on a daily basis which is quite
stable and security patched often. Multimedia licensing is strictly area
   51 for this distro so be prepared to use another apt repo or compile
from source which get's away from the release.

Ubuntu is very nice - even cool. Stable and very easy to install. ie on
laptops ;) I haven't gotten into the multimedia aspect of this one.

I mention the multimedia aspect because it's not a trivial task to build
everything without a repo if you want to burn mp3's, transcode or do
anything with dvd's, but then again you've gotten mythtv up and running
(bless the diety of your choice) so you're no stranger to this.

Here's the list of everything I've had to compile using fc7:
ivtv
ndiswrapper

don't get me started on the state if the native driver for  my ancient
(4 year old *gasp*) wireless card. the blacklist keeps getting longer...
again this isn't distro specific.

I wasn't impressed with suse 10 when I tried it out. mostly because I'm
not a kde kind of guy and don't want to jump through a hundred hoops
that are on fire to get back to my familiar gnome world. The snake and
tiger pit was enough to deter me at the time and I haven't found a
compelling reason to go back and try again.

> It doesn't have to be cool, although that is ok.  It does have to be
> functional and reasonably supportable.  MIS is familiar with RH stuff,
> if that matters.

MIS would be just as comfy with fedora as with RH. From a support and
admin point of view it's pretty much the same.

My 2 cents.