New distro question

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Apr 8 23:11:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 20:50 -0400, Frank DiPrete wrote:

> Ben Scott wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Frank DiPrete <fdiprete at comcast.net> wrote:
> >>  MIS would be just as comfy with fedora as with RH. From a support and
> >>  admin point of view it's pretty much the same.
> >
> >   Speaking as a professional MIS weenie, I can say that the main thing
> > that annoys about Fedora is their release cycle.  Having to do a major
> > upgrade to my OS every year, or living without security updates, isn't
> > a choice I relish.
> >
> yes, the release cycle for fedora is a bit fierce.

But that's the fun part. :)

At least, as a kernel monkey at Red Hat, doing devel work on Fedora is a
lot more fun than doing it on Red Hat Enterprise Linux. RHEL just gets
stale and boring too fast. Back-porting drivers and bug fixes to an
ancient kernel isn't the most exciting thing. Working with the latest
upstream kernel is a ton more fun. I run Fedora on all my own systems,
as well as on most of the systems I have in the office (and most of them
are rawhide).

In fact, I'm running rawhide on the laptop I'm typing on right now.
Though I do usually wait to upgrade from the prior release to rawhide on
my laptop for a while after release, as the month or two right after a
release is when rawhide is the least unstable... But once rawhide hits
beta, its pretty solid -- like someone said about debian unstable, its
rarely in such a bad state its not useable. Well, at least from a
developer's standpoint.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com