New distro question

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 10:03:27 EDT 2008

"Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> writes:

>   Speaking as a professional MIS weenie, I can say that the main thing
> that annoys about Fedora is their release cycle.  Having to do a major
> upgrade to my OS every year, or living without security updates, isn't
> a choice I relish.

Can't that be avoided by only updating those thing installed that have
available updates?  Why would you install something unnecessarilly, or
upgrade something you don't use/need ?  Especially on any system
requiring security?

I've seen lots of security updates go by for things which "just don't
apply" strictly because on most systems that have that package
installed, it doesn't matter, or, on the systems where it might, that
package isn't installed.
--
Seeya,
Paul