New distro question

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Apr 9 10:49:57 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Paul Lussier <p.lussier at comcast.net> wrote:

> "Labitt, Bruce" <labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com> writes:
>
> > What is the advantage of a debian based distro compared to
> > rpm based?  (Did I say that?  Keep it civil.  )
>
> Really?  Nothing.  Linux is Linux is Linux and Unix is Unix is Unix
> and Linux is Solaris is BSD is HP-UX is AI^H^H (oops, almost got
> carried away there :)
>
> The biggest differences boil down to:
>  - The packaging system and associated tools (they all suck in their own
> way)
>  - The location/formats of config files      (they all suck in their own
> way)
>  - Choice of SysVinit vs. BSD's rc.local     (they both suck in their own
> way)

and MacOSX launchd and Solaris 10's SMF (I miss /etc/init.d/* sometimes).
NetBSD hasn't used rc.local for awhile.  OpenBSD still uses it.

When it comes to Linux distros, really, what's to be different?  All
> of them use the same kernel, so it's not like moving between Solaris
> and AIX where you're moving between completely different OSes.  They
> all use the same software, so it's not like what you run on one you
> can't get or run on another.

On the surface they're all similar.  It's when you get in deeper that it
matters.  Most of the time you don't have to go too deep as a user or even
an admin.