New distro question

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Apr 9 11:26:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Shawn O'Shea <shawn at eth0.net> wrote:

> >  There's some other new dependency-based service manager
> > init-replacement thing in the FOSS world.  I forget the name.  It's
> > packaged as an option in Debian (of course).  It looked appealing, but
> > I didn't care enough to try it.
> >

> Upstart? http://upstart.ubuntu.com/
>
> Ubuntu started using it in 6.10

It's looking more like everyone's favorite editor/terminal.  *sigh*
At least the source of most of them are available.

I'm running 7.04 on my laptop and still see /etc/init.d.  Maybe it's 7.10?

Solaris 10 still has some stuff in /etc/init.d and you can add stuff there.
The CD mounter (vold) is in both /etc/init.d and SMF.