Spam and extra MX records

Brian brian at datasquire.net
Tue Apr 15 19:10:01 EDT 2008

Ben Scott wrote:
> On 4/15/08, Brian Chabot <brian at datasquire.net> wrote:
>> I once added an high numbered MX entry in a few domains which pointed to
>>  localhost.  ... I recall someone getting a
>>  bit irate about spooling my mail on a GNHLUG server till my server was
>>  back up... <G>
>
>   I got irate about *that* because you set it to *localhost*.  That
> meant that when your primary server was down, I was flooded with crap
> from the MTA on liberty (the GNHLUG server), since DNS was telling
> liberty that liberty was a destination MX for a domain liberty knew
> nothing about ("MX loops back to me").

My bad on that one.  My mind was thinking "send the spam back to the
spammer" and not "what if my server goes down?"  Then I lost power
longer than the UPS could keep up.  While I was out of town... and
outside of cell coverage (in the woods camping).  Whoops.

Now if I knew of a good target... I'd re-implement it in a heartbeat.  A
LOT of spammers do, in fact use the higher number MX record.  Not the
smarter ones, but there are enough dumb ones to make it worth while to me.

Brian