Intro and Questions...

Coleman Kane cokane at cokane.org
Wed Apr 16 11:22:30 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 11:01 -0400, Gerry Hull wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've been lurking on this list for a few weeks, and thought I'd
> introduce myself and ask a question...
>
> I'm an almost-50 software engineer and been writing code for about 25
> years now... mostly in the Windows world...
>
> In my day job, I work in the telecom world, writing .Net software that
> works with PBX products from the likes of Cisco, Nortel, Avaya and
> Siemens.
>
> In my free time, I've discovered Linux and open software.    I run a
> lot of servers at my house, and one of them is an Asterisk
> distribution called PBX-in-a-Flash (www.pbxinaflash.com).   I've been
> writing a lot of php and bash scripts and having a lot of fun with it.
>
> My question has nothing to do with Asterisk, though.   A friend and I
> are building an Applications Server product that we want to run on
> both Windows and Linux.   I am planning to do the Linux side using
> Mono, (LAMM, Linux, Apache, MySQL, Mono instead of LAMP) so I can
> leverage my .Net codebase.    For some of you purists, that may not be
> the "right" strategy, but for us it's time-to-market issue.
>
> My question is this:  Have any of you had experience with Mono?  What
> distro did you use?   What distro would you recommend?
> Our end goal is to build a custom distro, which will install the OS
> from an iso, an after initial boot, downloads the latest application
> code
> and install it.
>
> TIA,
>
> Gerry Hull
> Greenfield, NH
> gerry at telosity.com (email/sip)
> +1-603-547-4005

Hi,

I've been messing a bit with mono lately and it looks promising
(considering the insular approach that Sun Micro has employed with the
Java language / VM). I was successfully able to build some .exe files on
my FreeBSD amd64 system using "mcs", the "Mono C# Compiler". These were
just console-apps.

I was able to use "mono" to run these locally without any trouble. I
copied them to my x86 (32-bit) WinXP machine and ran them there and they
ran fine as well.

I haven't done any significant performance testing on the code, but it
generally seems to be decently supported. One thing that I do see is
that MS .NET seems to be implementing the .NET API v3.0 and v3.5 already
(as well as v1.1 and v2.0), while mono implements all of v1.1 and "most"
of v2.0.

One of the really cool features of the mono project is that it is
releasing much of its code under the MIT license (which has similar
distribution rights / responsibilities as the BSD license). This means
that you can implement C# stuff based on mono as an embedded GNU/Linux
distributor without losing proprietary rights (if such things concern
you). The next release (2.0) is supposed to release the C# compiler
under this license as well.

Novell has been the "Sun Micro" to the mono project and seems to be very
very good to it.

Links:
  - http://www.mono-project.com - main page
  - http://www.mono-project.com/Roadmap - project's roadmap (done, and