[SPAM-30] howto determine processor characteristics from cli

Labitt, Bruce labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com
Thu Apr 17 13:43:28 EDT 2008

Jim,

I was trying to figure out if I had a boat anchor, or something worth
the $$$ to add memory.  This is a hand me down machine.

When I buy new, I always try to max out the RAM.  I know what you mean
about RAM getting expensive.  I had a machine that used RAMBUS.  It was
very fast for its time.  It allowed my 800 MHz CPU to out compute my
later 2.4GHz laptop.  I got a lot of life out of that RAMBUS computer,
must have been a solid 6 years of simulations before there really was
anything much better.

BTW, I did order the memory.  It will allow the cpu in question to eke
by for a few more years.  I really need to get a big machine though, as
I'm memory limited for my simulations.

Bruce