Intro and Questions...

Michael Nolin michaelnolin at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 09:29:32 EDT 2008

--- Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2008, at 11:22, Coleman Kane wrote:
>
> > Novell has been the "Sun Micro" to the mono
> project and seems to be
> > very
> > very good to it.
>

> Yeah, if you're doing mono work you better be using
> a SuSE-based
> distribution, since only Novell has a
> patent-indemnification pact
> with Microsoft, and mono is likely patent-encumbered
> by Microsoft,
> and Microsoft has already promised to take action
> against those it
> feels are abusing the patents it holds which are
> being used by FLOSS
> software.
>
> I'd say running anything non-SuSE would be
> dangerous, but ask your

My own experience with mono on a SuSE 10.2 10.3
fizzled. It seemed that SuSE was trying to provide a
migration path for Windows GUI's into Linux and
embedded platforms. I had a few lines of C Sharp in a
flash programming utility written for linux, (beats
all I've seen to date). I had to try a couple of
versions of mono on SuSE before I got the right one
for the source I was looking at. When I moved forward
on to the embedded GUI portion of the project I found
it was easier to implement an embedded GUI in almost
any other language GTK+.., freedesktop.org ...
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4870
I was not able to find any significant ongoing
development of mono based projects, like SuSE thought
there would be a demand for GUI projects moving from
MS to Linux but it never materialized.

Mike

Michael Nolin
Embedded Solutions Unlimited, LLC