anyone have a cheap source for pc3200 memory?

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Apr 20 16:13:57 EDT 2008

Ben Scott wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> It has PC3200 memory (DDR 1 400 MHz).  Anyone know of an
>> inexpensive source for some 1MB sticks?
>>

>   I assume you mean "1GB".
Yes.
> A Google Product Search finds vendors
> selling it on eBay for as cheap as $15 per 1GB stick.
I didn't find anything that would actually work on my mobo an intel
d865perl.  Sure,I think I can find something cheaper than $50/stick, but
don't think anywhere near $15.   (Especially after shipping!)  I need
184 pin pc3200 (400 MHz DDR1)  ideally low density.  I'm sending an
email to the $15/stick vendor (+$10 shipping!) to see if I can use the
"high density = cheaper" rather than the low density = $60/stick + $8
shipping.
> You're still
> paying too much, but at least it's not $50/stick.
>
> http://www.google.com/products?q=PC3200+1GB&scoring=p

Most of the link shows bogus information.  I.e., stuff shows up but the
links don't seem to be good anymore.
link #1:  this item is no longer available
link #2: not pc3200 memory
link #3: laptop with 128 MB RAM
link #4: laptop with 512 MB RAM - no longer available
link #5: no longer available
etc.
grumble, ok, there was a good link ==> ebay pc3200

>   Be warned that a lot of older hardware is limited to a 32-bit (4
> GiB) hardware address bus (even if the CPU has a 36-bit bus).  If so,
> the system will not be able to "see" the full 4 GiB of RAM.  (The RAM
> gets bumped out of addressable space by other hardware.)  You should
> get at least 3 GiB of usable RAM, maybe 3.5 GiB or so.  YMMV.

Scientific linux - above limits do not apply - only the mobo limit itself.