Reformat an NTFS disk to FAT32?

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Apr 21 07:48:57 EDT 2008

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:28:57 -0400
Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at verizon.net> wrote:

> Well SuSE 9.3 doesn't handle it gracefully.  I wouldn't be going through
> this grief if it did.  I am trying to get my user data /home archived
> onto the usb disk so I can install a new distro.
> One of these days I can go doze free, but my current employment doesn't
> yet offer that opportunity. :)
> Hence the FAT32 formating.

One solution is to boot a recent live distro, such as knoppix or
ubuntu or Suse 10.3. All three handle ntfs. The issue is the kernel
modules. Also, SuSE releases are upgradable. While I always prefer a
clean install, I have performed upgrade installs on SuSE with no
problems.  Normally, when I set up a system from scratch I always set
up a separate /home file system so I can do a clean install without
blowing away my /home (and /usr/local in my case).
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846