moving linux installs

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Apr 21 16:14:36 EDT 2008

On Apr 20, 2008, at 03:01, John Abreau wrote:

> The way you describe it makes it sound like you had significant
> effort and downtime to get this to work. Was it really much less
> than a reinstall/reconfig would have taken?

In this case it was a matter of certainty - one of the systems had a
couple of apps on them that were not robustly packaged (I understate
considerably) and the configuration wasn't very well documented
(again...).  So, I think the average case would be similar or favor a
re-install, but the worst case could have been weeks of reactive
troubleshooting.

Fixing the brittleness is important, and in-progress, but the
hardware was failing. :(  Non-ideal all around.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/