moving linux installs

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:27:37 EDT 2008

On 4/24/08, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For instance, dynamic reconfiguration of X.org ...
>  X is kinda rough.  I take it the idea of trying to use the
> run-without-a-full-config-file/always-probe-the-video-card strategy
> never worked?

  'Kinda'.  Resolutions would always be a bit screwy, and mouse
cursers would never quite work right.

> > ... NetworkManager ...
>  NetworkManager is a crock.  It happens to work sometimes, maybe even
> a lot of the time, but it's still a crock.  NM either works
> automagically, or it mysteriously fails.  When it works, great.  When
> it fails, there's nothing you can do about it.  Reminds of of MS
> Windows, actually.

  It's been getting better over time.  I've only really had it royally
screw up once, but an upgrade 2 days later fixed it.  Perhaps the
'learn and remember' concept itself is complex enough that it's prone
to failure.  *shrug*.

--
-- Thomas