Source for DVI/USB KVM switch, cables

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Fri Apr 25 13:36:52 EDT 2008

I recently ordered a 16-port KVM-over-IP unit. It hasn't been
delivered yet, so I can't speak from personal experience yet
about this unit.

It's an Aten 16-Port IP-Based KVM Switch (KH1516I); I paid
$772.89 at PC Connection. Cables are not included; it uses
standard cat5 cables to connect each adapter to the unit.
The PS-2 adapters (a dongle with a vga connector and two ps2 ports)
were $66.82 each, and the usb adapters (vga + usb ports) were
$76.71 each. Sun 13W3 adapters were $116.28 each.

On Fri, April 25, 2008 9:14 am, Paul Lussier said:

> Similarly:
>
> Can anyone recommend an industrial strength KVM rig for a lab
> environment of 400+ systems ?
>
> One of the really nice features would the capability to ssh/telnet to
> the different ports in order to control an automated installer
> environment.
>
> The problem I'm trying to solve is this:
>
>  We want to have our product's install be run automatically such that
>  when a system is automatically rebooted, it uses PXE and DHCP to
>  invoke a tftp transfer of the ISO image which the client then boots
>  and installs off of.
>
>  Given that the installer usually requires human interaction, we need
>  a way to "drive" the install process from an automated test
>  harness. Since the system isn't on the network during the install
>  process, we'll need console access, hence the need for a KVM
>  infrastructure.
>
> Any ideas about this would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Seeya,
> Paul