Comcast blocks port 25 incoming, yet again

Coleman Kane cokane at cokane.org
Fri Apr 25 15:11:19 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 14:39 -0400, Shawn O'Shea wrote:

>         Furthermore, I do host my own "websites" and "email" on my
>         local
>         connection but none of it is used for commercial or business
>         use. The
>         comcast representative then proceeded to inform me that my
>         hosting
>         violates their terms and that I can get another provider, or I
>         can use
>         their "business class" service. He warned me that they'll be
>         specifically monitoring my traffic for the next 30 days and if
>         I don't
>         "stop it" they will turn off my access.
>
> This is Comcast's SOP. Their Terms of Service that you agreed to when
> getting Comcast service says "no servers" , regardless of their
> commercial use or not. I'm not defending them, because I don't agree
> with the policy either, just that it is fact, and that by getting
> their service you agree to abide by their rules, dumb or not.
> From section: I. Prohibited Uses and Activities
> "use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the
> Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone
> outside of your Premises local area network ("Premises LAN"), also
> commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of
> prohibited equipment and servers include, but are not limited to,
> e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;"
> http://www6.comcast.net/terms/use/
>
> -Shawn

Yeah, I realize this *now*, however it doesn't still excuse them from
unannouncedly denying service. They can contact me, they do have my
phone number / email address.

I am probably moving to FairPoint DSL. Generally I've had better service
in the past with DSL than with Cable in the city anyhow. Too bad
FairPoint didn't offer this service back when I first moved here though.

I recommend anybody living in NH to look at FairPoint for internet
access. They seem "less bad" than Comcast. Comcast can go screw
themselves, as far as I am concerned.

--
Coleman Kane