COSIG, Ubuntu SIG, or maybe both...

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 17:23:02 EDT 2008

> From what you've stated, you successfully promoted FOSS in
> Ithica, NY and did so on what sounded like quite a significant scale.

It's not just about FOSS, it's about activism in general, and I've been
involved with different groups in at least 9 cities over the last 12 years.
The volunteer/member factor remains the same regardless of what you're
promoting, what demographic you have as membership, or where you are in the
country.  Trust me when I say I've seen what works and doesn't work.

IFSA is a large group, but there's only a handful of people doing "outreach"
events regularly, and that's the norm.  Monthly meetings are primarily
social events, usually no formal agenda, and afterwards everyone goes out to
eat chinese buffet.  It's just an open group for anyone interested in
software freedom.  Of course once new people are friends with some of the
members they're more inclined to volunteer to do more, but there's no
regular meetings for just outreach volunteers.

GNHLUG has similar social functions, and from what I've read/seen it's about
the same size as IFSA. If you count the weekly potlucks there's just as
frequent meetings, too.  Yes, there are people state-wide who want to do
outreach, but they don't socially click as a whole, that won't change by
throwing state-wide outreach meetings into the equation.

I'll argue that the current situation in NH is ideal because the
fragmentation is geographically based.  No, two people does not make a
sustainable outreach team, but if you post to the list when you're going to
do something that'll grow to three or four over time.

I wasn't aware that anything was being planned for SFD. :(

Bill's coordinating an event down near Nashua, I'm coordinating the Concord
event.

I believe we're both still in the permit and materials collection phase,
much more traffic will hit the list when we get closer to September.