Octaviz, VTK, & Octave CMAKE???

Labitt, Bruce labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com
Mon Aug 4 09:53:36 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill McGonigle [mailto:bill at bfccomputing.com]
< much good stuff snipped>

Suggestion:  steal from the experts.

ATRPMS has vtk pre-built:

   http://dl.atrpms.net/sl5-x86_64/atrpms/stable/

so use it unless you need to compile it differently.  If you do,
steal their SRPM and tweak the build options there, as they've worked
out the rest already.

[Labitt, Bruce]
Thanks for your insightful post.  Steal from the experts!  I like it.
It does not appear I can use the rpms directly - that was my first
approach.  (Work your way up from easiest to hardest!)

How does one compile srpms?  I found a vtk.spec file in the srpm
package, along with vtk5.0.4.tar.gz as well as a vtkpython patch.  The
vtkspec file has all the cmake options, excellent!  That was the missing
link for me!

Is the src.rpm build as simple as: ?

	rpm -i vtkstuff.src.rpm		#extracts to /usr/src/redhat
directory
	rpmbuild -bb vtk.spec		# does the build, installs
binaries

Hmmm, I like it.

This is what the list is for!!!  Great advice!
Thank you a lot Bill!!!

Regards,
Bruce