iPhone/Smartphone stuff

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Mon Aug 4 19:52:46 EDT 2008

Ben Scott wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> wrote:
>
>> Google Maps on my Verizon Curve can find my location.  Well, within 1500
>> meters or so.
>>

>   Interesting.  I'm curious; any idea how it does that?  Does Google
> maybe have some way of finding out what cell you're in, and mapping
> that to a rough guess of your location?

I guess.  I can also use my bluetooth GPS receiver - I got it to connect
to mine, but it takes forever to lock on and I haven't needed that level
of precision to wait.
>   Exactly.  The device has a GPS receiver, which is required to be
> working for Mobile Enhanced 911 location purposes.  I've read that, on
> 8830 and 8330 units with Sprint firmware, it works great with other
> apps.  Verizon just blocks anything not VZ Navigator.  Including the
> built-in BlackBerry Maps software.  Even if you subscribe to VZ Nav,
> other stuff is still blocked.  Jerks.

In general, I share your usual grumbles about Verizon (no WiFi on it
stinks as well), though I find they have better coverage than AT&T.  To
get back to the original topic, I really like the Curve and prefer it
over the iPhone.    Tethering, bluetooth, supports java apps (at least
they're portable), mini USB connector.  For music, I already have an 8GB
touch, so I get the best of both worlds.

-Mark