iPhone/Smartphone stuff

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 11:00:36 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:25 AM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
>>  Exactly.  The device has a GPS receiver, which is required to be
>> working for Mobile Enhanced 911 location purposes.
>
> Note that 'GPS' is a term used loosely in cell phone world.

  The BlackBerry 8830 has honest-to-goodness Global Positioning System
satellite locator hardware in it.  VZW just blocks access to the API.

  Even better was the fact that for the first several months, VZW
couldn't get their own VZ Navigator software working on the
BlackBerry, so despite the fact that the phone had a working GPS
receiver in it, and came with the native BlackBerry Maps software, you
couldn't *use it*.

  Did I mention that I don't like VZW?

> Cheap GPS chips are crummy.

  I don't know how good/accurate the GPS hardware in the 8830 is.

> Verizon has selected LTE for its next deployment, which is compatible
> with the other 3GPP providers.  So, it'll be possible to be on most
> carriers and roam to most carriers.

  I'll believe it when I have a device in my hands that actually does
so while I'm watching, and not a moment before.  VZW told us the 8830
had GPS/mapping/location functions, too.  And proceeded to tell us
lies about why it wasn't working.  (I can provide documentation if you
like.)

  I know VZW has good US coverage, but hey, Microsoft has its selling
points, too.  Gag.

-- Ben