Booting NOT-Windows

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Aug 20 20:13:30 EDT 2008

On Aug 20, 2008, at 14:25, Peg Harris wrote:

> Since this machine has the ability to boot off a USB device or a
> CD, I wonder if I can boot up something else that will see all of
> my other disks, and let me copy my XP files onto my USB drive
> before I end up shipping this machine back to Dell (who said they'd
> just blindly replace the hard drive) or reinstalling from scratch.

If your filesystem is really hosed, it's possible that not all your
files will copy off easily.  You may or may not get error messages in
this case.  This entirely depends on what caused your problem, which
we don't know.

So, one thing I like to do is to create a disk image of the damaged
disk before trying anything else.  That way you can go back if
'recovery' attempts do more damage than good.  This is largely a
question of what your data is worth and what your risk aversion is
like.  NewEgg recently had $500GB disk on sale for $50, so we're not
talking very expensive here.

Once booted with the live cd, you'd do something like:

   dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/myusbdisk/my_hosed_xp_disk.dd bs=8M
conv=noerror,sync

and let it run for an hour or two.  Then do the recover attempt.
Restoring the disk to its previous state is a matter of flipping the
if (input file) and of (output file) labels above.  And waiting.
Assuming your drive heads haven't crashed - then all bets are off as
far as predictable behaviour.

-Bill

-----
bill at bfccomputing.com		Cell: 603.252.2606