IMAP URLs

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
Fri Aug 29 12:47:52 EDT 2008

Michael ODonnell writes:

> I just noticed that for any of my email folders Thunderbird will
> report an URL of the form:
>
>    imap://userName@serverName/pathName
>
> ...and I wonder if there's a Linux tool like wget that I can use
> to pull email folders and such from an Exchange server, hopefully
> into a local hierarchy whose layout reflects that of the Exchange
> server's and, ideally (I can dream!) one file per msg, MH-style.

I've done this before by using "fetchmail --folder" and feeding the
results to procmail.

Procmail reminder:  if you want the output to be placed in a MH
folder, specify a destination that ends with "/."; if you want the
output to end up in a Maildir, make sure the destination ends with
"/".

Regards,

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E                Meet me by the knuckles
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                of the skinny-bone tree.