a call for colos

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Wed Dec 3 19:32:08 EST 2008

I went with Spectra in the end.  I was down today to check out their
facility and MV's.  G4 was too pricy for my set up, as was colospace.com,
another outfit I found on line with colos in Manchester, Bedford, and
several other locations outside of NH.  G4 and colospace.com would be good
to consider for high-end space.  They don't have private cages, but they
seem to have everything else.

Me, I just need a cheap reliable place to stick a single server.  At
Spectra, I had to BYO UPS, but I worked out a deal where I give them my
overkill 5U unit, and I get to use a couple of ports on it, but don't have
to pay for the extra space it uses.  This way, they can put other customers
on it too that might not have their own UPS.  They do provide a generator
with ~30-second response.

MV's space appeared a touch nicer than Spetra, but I could not get a quote
out of them before I had to leave Manchester today.  This is not really a
mark against them because I just contacted them yesterday. I expect the
quote would have been in my price range but a touch higher than Spectra.

MV was clearly more estabilshed, while Spestra was a little more
professional in appearance and a more formally run.  6 of one, half a dosen
of the other in my book.  Both seem perfectly capable.

Also, the Spectra folks are very flexible with setup.  For example, they are
Fedexing my access keys because I did not have time to wait for them today.

Thanks to all for the input and help!