Nokia N810 and other handhelds

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Dec 5 13:44:29 EST 2008

On 2008-12-03 11:01 PM, Ben Scott wrote:

>    Does such a thing actually exist?

Not for the Treo.  One of Palm's many well-publicized fiasco's was when
their president promised 802.11 shipping for the Treo 650 'within a
year' as an add-on.  So, I bought one.  It never showed.  Most think
Verizon was afraid of VOIP.

>    How in the name of the FSM's balls Apple managed to convince
> everybody the iPhone is somehow exempt from the above clusterfsck
> remains a perplexing mystery to me.  The iPhone is actually worse,
> because in addition to the carriers wanting everything locked up we've
> got Apple wanting everything locked up.

I'm not about to buy one, but developing for the iPhone is tremendously
easier than developing for a Palm.  Distributing those apps is also
easier, and the carriers are mostly not involved.  Apple also negotiated
what was at the time the cheapest data plan available.

They're really against a free culture in software and really bad news
for isv investors, but who's got the better solution?  I expect the
answer is "Google, about a year from now," but that's obviously not now.

-Bill

Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/