Rodents (mice)

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Mon Dec 8 17:05:29 EST 2008

On December 08, 2008, Kevin D. Clark sent me the following:
> What kind of cool things do people normally do with mice with that
> have more than three buttons and a scroll wheel?

In the office, I use a Logitech Cordless Optical TrackMan, it has a
trackball, scroll wheel, and 8 buttons, including the scroll wheel
click. I map one of the other buttons to replace the wheel click, as
it's kindof stiff, and I paste a lot.

The only other thing I do is map the Forward/Back buttons to change
virtual desktops in Fluxbox.

~/.xmodmap
pointer = 1 10 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 2

~/.fluxbox/keys
OnDesktop Mouse1 :HideMenus
OnDesktop Mouse2 :WorkspaceMenu
OnDesktop Mouse3 :RootMenu
OnDesktop Mouse4 :NextWorkspace
OnDesktop Mouse5 :PrevWorkspace
Mouse8 :NextWorkspace
Mouse9 :PrevWorkspace

One sort of odd thing, two of the buttons are for fast scrolling or some
such. When pressed, they act as one click of the wheel, then as another
button press. Very odd. I just avoid using them.

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>
http://weblog.2bithacker.net/          KB1QYW        PGP key ID 43C4819E