[gnhlug-jobs] boot HDD into RDP client

jkinz at kinz.org jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Dec 8 21:24:44 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 01:09:08PM -0500, Pam McLeod wrote:
> I'm with a K-12 school district in the Lakes Region and am looking
> for an independent consultant who might be able to spend a few hours
> converting an old PC into a thin client.  Glen Page referred me to
> this group.
>
> I would prefer a small, thin distro which will boot right up into an
> RDP client - that's really all I want it to do.  I've been playing
> with Thinstation for awhile, which seemed perfect for my needs, but
> can't get it working on these PCs (Compaq Deskpro EX 933 w/ 128MB
> RAM).  The machines are pre-PXE.  This is taking too much time away
> from the rest of my projects.
>
> I'm not particularly attached to Thinstation if you've something else
> which does exactly the same thing.
>
> Please get in touch if you're interested in this project and I'll give
> you more details.

Hi Pam, I've done some stuff like that in the past using the
software from LTSP.org.

To turn your PC into a thin client, these bootrom enabled ethernet
cards may help:
http://www.disklessworkstations.com/cgi-bin/web/100003.html?id=5XKzdgF9

Those cards add PXE capacity to your PC.

They also have these, but I've never used them ($17 vs $30 )

Its no coincidence that the lead architect for LTSP happens to be
from disklessworkstations.com.

Just about anyone can install those cards in your PC.

email me if you have any questions.  :)

Jeff Kinz