Problem with usb serial port ordering.

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Mon Feb 4 07:35:44 EST 2008

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 16:48:09 -0500 (EST)
"Steven W. Orr" <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:

> I have two usb devices which I shall call spm and fp. They end up at
> ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 but the order that they get accessed causes us to not
> know which device we're talking to until they are first referenced.
>
> Does anyone know if there's a way to cause a specific device to always
> come up on a specified ttyUSB? e.g., if spm happens to want to come up as
> ttyUSB1 and I want it to be on ttyUSB0, is there a way?

As Ben notes, the answer is probably sysfs/udev.  I'm just now working
on a similar problem (getting some new Firewire disks to appear as the
same name each time they're plugged in).  Here's what got me started:

(Kickstart)
"Create your own udev rules to control removable devices"

("Real" tutorial)
Daniel Drake's "Writing udev rules"
  http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

HTH,