Problem with usb serial port ordering.

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Feb 5 18:39:07 EST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008, at 23:26, Ben Scott wrote:

>   If the devices are identical in model, you're likely SOL: The USB
> standard doesn't require a unique ID (e.g., hardware address, serial
> number), so there's no sure way to tell identical models apart.  You
> might be able to finagle something with port numbers or the like.

==Hack alert==

I have to admit to not really understanding the output of `lsusb -v`
but I didn't see how to tie a device to a part number, however....

If they are the same device and you like it that way (e.g. I'm using
Keyspans because they actually work, unlike others I've tried) you
could put two different USB hubs in the chain, and figure out which
device is connected to which hub, then do the right thing by parsing
`lsusb -t`.

I know, men have been shot for more elegant solutions.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/