News: California city implements Asterisk; saves $260K

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:09:58 EST 2008

On 2/7/08, Christopher Chisholm

> That was a very interesting read.  My skill set mostly involves
> programming, desktop hardware and your basic networking (I can use a
> home router and understand most of the concepts in it).  While reading
> this I was wondering how much knowledge you'd need to be able to
> implement something like that.  It seems way out of my skill, and I'm
> betting a pretty huge project for that one guy by himself.
>
> Would anyone here be confident in your ability to do what he did, under
> similar circumstances?  How well known are those open-source solutions,
> and what kind of schooling would you need to understand how to use them
> all, for that purpose?

I've implimented Asterisk as a phone system in two mulit-site
companies now. It really isn't all that difficult. There are systems
out there that make it almost a point-and-click implimentation:

http://www.trixbox.org/
http://www.elastix.org/

I am personally not a fan of these systems, since they take a little
bit of the flexability out of the scriptible configs. Setting up
multiple sites is no more difficult then setting up one site, really.
You just set up the single site as a stand alone site and configure it
to use the other sites as IAX peers. When it doesn't have an extension
locally, it checks the dialing rules to see what to do with the call.
I would apologize for over-simplifying it, that is really all there is
too it.

C-Ya,
Kenny