(Off Topic) Windoze spam and corruption

paul.cour1 at verizon.net paul.cour1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 11 08:55:31 EST 2008

I have a Win XP machine that is terribly infested (Ugh!)
it takes for ever to boot.
I have moused around to remove every bit of software
that makes sense with the exception of "dll" files.
I.E. I am trying to erase as much stuff as I can with out corrupting
the Operating system.

One Spyware that is resident on the machine keeps
popping up and gives reference to files that are allegedly
spam...

some of these (listed below) are visible in C:\programs and
C:\Windows as "applications." I have deleted these (or attempted)
but in a second or two, they are back...
Can drag them to the Trash can but they will return to the folder or dir.
For example:
C:\windows\setn.dll
  \ngd.dll
  \764
  \kvnab$.exe
  \xxxvideo
  \hotporn
  \cbinst$.exe
  \hcwprn.exe

Several browser windows open by the "clock" every 5 minutes and
advertise AntiSpyware shrink wrap packages. (ironically)

These Browsers reference Yahoo services and Internet Explorer,
in the window frame . Obviously I have removed every file that looks
like it is an I.E. or Yahoo reference. That is eliminate everything that
even remotely looks like it relates to I. E. or Yahoo.

But spam or advertising pop-ups still occur regularly (by the clock)...

Short of wiping the drive and reinstalling windows, M. S. Office,
reconfiguring Linksys router, etc., what can I do?
This machine is used for School projects and wife's email,
etc...

While my last and most effective option is to wipe drive and reinstall
Windoze,  I am having fun clicking around and deleting as much stuff
as I can until I corrupt things beyond a capable "boot"...
Besides that, up til now I am not interested in Windoze,
but I am learning some "OS" kinda stuff.

caveat emptor
1.) not my machine
2.) don't have the patience to teach Linux to the owner of this machine.

Any ideas, comments appreciated ...

paulc