Negroponte, OLPC, AAAS, obese electronics

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Feb 19 21:23:55 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008, at 18:23, Neil Joseph Schelly wrote:

> Support standards-based phones like GSM phones that you
> can own, without complicated contracts, and take with you from one
> carrier to
> the next, if necessary?

For those of us stuck in NH with one plausible carrier, the good news
is Verizon seems to be on path to transition to the GSM spec, LTE,
for its 4G services, which is OFDM-based and should bounce off of
hills nicely.

Meanwhile the "GSM" carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile) are deploying W-CDMA
networks for their 3G service, so this all seems to be coming
together nicely, finally.  That is, with a technology standard we
might see a real market evolve like Neil hopes for (and works
wonderfully in more technologically advanced countries).

Verizon claims 2011, so we might see it here within five years.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/