Heisenbug with Fedora 8, selinux, and SSH public keys

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 02:32:11 EST 2008

  This is an FYI.

  On my newish Fedora 8 install.  One issue I had is that I can't SSH
in and authenticate using public keys.  I get prompted for a password.
 Password login works.  Just not public key authentication.  I can SSH
out with pubkeys, not in, though.  Same home directory (multi-boot;
shared disk partition) works fine on Fedora 6.  Server syslog logs
don't indicate anything helpful, even with the sshd log level cranked
up to DEBUG3.  "ssh -vvv" also didn't yield any clues.  Reproduces
with stock sshd_config file as well as the one I was using on Fedora
6.

  Poking around on the web, I find someone suggesting running SSH in
foreground debug mode with "sshd -d".  Grasping for straws, I try
that.  And *the problem goes away*.  That's right, when running
normally, it doesn't work; when running in debug mode, it works fine.
Heisenbug.  <whimper>

  I eventually discover that running "/sbin/restorecon ~bscott ;
/sbin/restorecon -r ~bscott/.ssh" fixes the issue.  Apparently SELinux
labeling wasn't right for something.  What I still don't get is why
running sshd in debug mode made it work.

    Submitted for your approval.

/cue "Twilight Zone" theme

-- Ben