eliminating gnome-terminal colors

Coleman Kane cokane at cokane.org
Thu Feb 21 09:44:35 EST 2008

Tom Buskey wrote:
> My google-fu is lacking.
>
> I want to force gnome-terminal (and konsole and xterm and...) to not
> allow colors.
>
> When I bring up lynx, I want black & white with bold.  I don't want
> the white on blue status at the bottom or the yellow on white I can't
> read either.
>
> I don't want ls to use colors.
> I don't want vim to use colors.
>
> I don't want anything to use anything except black on white text with
> bold.
Try setting your TERM environment variable to "vt102" or "vt220",
instead of "linux", "xterm", or "xterm-color".

For the xterm program, you can achieve this by running:
xterm -tn vt220

Instead of plain old xterm.

I don't know how to do it with the others, however I am sure they have
their means.

You can also just set your TERM env var in ~/.profile, ~/.cshrc, or
~/.bashrc (depending upon your shell type). You can get real creative
and reset it only if the current value of it is "xterm" or something
similar.

--
Coleman Kane