kernel bug

VirginSnow at vfemail.net VirginSnow at vfemail.net
Thu Feb 21 13:25:54 EST 2008

> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:07:03 -0500
> From: "Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com>

> build environment, and so on.  Also, ndiswrapper is a userland
> program, so if ndiswrapper is involved, something is running in
> userland.  It might be an initrd (initial RAM disk), which runs things
> before init starts.  Or maybe it gets invoked by init before services

Bingo, Ben.  You found it.  TOP is using genkernel kernel+initrd,
isn't he? :) I doubt wifi is really necessary to mount /, so TOP might
want to consider disabling/blacklisting ndiswrapper/wifi in his
initrd.

There will *still* likely be problems with ndiswrapper (remember,
ndiswrapper is designed to let you run windoze drivers on you linux
box, so hm...), but at least there'll be a fully booted, running
system beneath them. :)

> start; I have no idea how Gentoo's boot process works.

It does a topological sort on a depends/provides graph of initscripts,
caches the sort, and then runs it when booting.