SSH tunnel question

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Feb 28 08:27:47 EST 2008

There are advantages to both VPN and SSH.

The VPN would direct all traffic to the host network.  The client's local
network wouldn't be available.  I like this when my users are in a Starbucks
somewhere.  They turn the VPN on & now only get traffic from my network.

SSH is good when you want to still access the LAN and you know what you're
connecting to on the other end.  When I'm at work, I want to connect to the
printers, file servers, proxy, and ssh to systems.  But I want an SSH tunnel
to my home web, SSH systems, etc.  I don't think I could do that VPN, though
I'd like to hear otherwise.