SSH tunnel question

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Feb 28 11:05:55 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Neil Joseph Schelly <neil at jenandneil.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday 28 February 2008 08:27, Tom Buskey wrote:
> > There are advantages to both VPN and SSH.
> >
> > The VPN would direct all traffic to the host network.  The client's
> local
> > network wouldn't be available.  I like this when my users are in a
> > Starbucks somewhere.  They turn the VPN on & now only get traffic from
> my
> > network.
>
> It's thinking like that that means my wife can't print an email when she
> logs
> onto her work VPN network to check email or enter hours into their system.
> It's your network to do what you want with it, but I just wanted to vent
> that
> your administration method would annoy the hell out of me.

FWIW, it's my corporate offices that do things that way.
Many of the larger corporations that I've worked for did things that way.

I've resorted to running the VPN within a VMware session.  My host can
access the local stuff while the guest only gets the VPN network.  And local
folder access.  Print to PDF in the guest & have the host print that.  It's
a work around for when corporate won't budge.