tim bray commenting on windows

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jan 9 15:19:52 EST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 2:37 PM, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'm still seeing increasing interest, although it remains a gradual
> thing.  I suspect it may be a generational thing.  Recent tech
> graduates have likely been at least exposed to Linux, have less
> experience to tie them to established knowns, and may even be "used
> to" the idea of FOSS.  Even as recently as ten years ago, that was
> fairly rare.

s/Linux/Unix/g
s/Windows/VMS or anything else proprietary/

This happened in the 80s with the engineering crowd.  They got used to all
the unixy goodness in college and wanted to use that when they got into the
workforce.  The cycle is coming.

He's spot on about Exchange/Outlook lock-in.  If it doesn't do Exchange at
the corporate level and work with the Blackberry, etc it's not going to
fly.  OWA doesn't work well on Firefox (haven't tried Safari yet).  Add to
that Sharepoint w/ MS-Office and MS Project and Project Server and you have
lots of lock-in.