ttyUSB monitoring

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Fri Jan 11 19:29:10 EST 2008

I bought a GPS tracker (RGM-3800) under the delusion that I would be
able to collect data from it using Linux.  Unfortunately, it is using a
proprietary protocol to collect data.  The serial connection is
115200-n-8-1, but the device does not use the "normal" command
sequences.

The Windows software will sometimes work using WINE.  I expect that I
could reverse engineer the key features if I could monitor the ttyUSB
device data stream.  So far I've been unable to google anything useful
about enabling a serial device monitor (tcpdump for the serial device)
that showed the data stream.  statserial will show the status pins.  I
would think that usbserial (pl2303.ko) would have needed a monitor mode
when it was developed simply because it is such a synthetic device.

I'm hoping someone here can kick me in the right direction.

(The tracker connects using a USB cable so I can't use a serial breakout
box or any hardware based serial debugging facility.)

Thanks.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp