ttyUSB monitoring

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Sat Jan 12 12:17:09 EST 2008

Lloyd Kvam wrote:
> I bought a GPS tracker (RGM-3800) under the delusion that I would be
> able to collect data from it using Linux.  Unfortunately, it is using a
> proprietary protocol to collect data.  The serial connection is
> 115200-n-8-1, but the device does not use the "normal" command
> sequences.

I'd say save your time and money.

Last year I got a cheap-o Bluetooth GPS from CompGeeks
(http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WHT-BT-5&cat=GPS) that was $35,
has a battery that seems to last forever, and charges via a standard USB
port.  Yes, it can charge and act as a GPS, no it can't transmit any
data over USB.

I've been using it with gpsdrive (and gpsd) for a while.  Works really
nicely and is a great price for anyone that wants to experiment with
either GPS or bluetooth devices.

-Mark