[OT] Windows registry (was: managing applications)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 17:50:35 EST 2008

[order of quotations changed slightly for editorial purposes]

On Jan 10, 2008 10:57 PM, Ric Werme <ewerme at comcast.net> wrote:
> Ben Scott misread my mail and got bent outta shape:

  I didn't get bent outta shape.  (My mind was already twisted. ;-) )
I just listed reasons why I felt my opinion of the Windows registry
was valid.  I've got lots of those, obviously.  :-)

> Yeah, binary mostly sucks, but I'm already using Mysql, adding
> small wart that holds data being passed around various programs
> isn't going be a big problem.

  Indeed.  I wouldn't even call it a "wart".  You're using a database
to hold data; that's the point, after all.  :)

> > A21. Moving software between systems is an absolute horrid mess.
>
> Yay Python!

  But "Boo registry!".  :-)

> It's all Python code.  Porting it to a different database or an ascii
> file will be a lot less work ...

  But not if it used the (Windows) registry.  :)

> Putting Linux working data into a Windows registry is well, I don't know
> how I'd do that.  Let alone why I would want to!

  Vehement agreement!  :)

>>   None.  Zero.  Zip.  Zilch.  Nada.  Goose egg.
>
> Which is pretty much describes Ben's comprehension of my post.

  I'm tempted to just link to http://xkcd.com/169/ and leave it at
that, but that would be neither completely fair nor truly honest.
You're right in that I missed the remark about your "registry" being a
MySQL table, which you explicitly stated.  My bad.  But I do believe
you're essentially describing something completely different than the
Windows registry, which is what Tom and I were "discussing".  The fact
that you named the table "registry" doesn't mean it's like the Windows
registry, and comparing your table named "registry" to the Windows
registry, in a conversation about the Windows registry, is a little
confusing.  :)  Not that it excuses my own mistake...

> I could have called it shared data, or weather environment stuff, but kept
> "registry" sort of as a joke.

  Ha ha.  But I'd say the joke's on me.  :-)

-- Ben