ttyUSB monitoring

Charles G Montgomery cgm at physics.utoledo.edu
Mon Jan 14 09:02:56 EST 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008,at 07:42 am, you wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 12:37 -0500, Charles G Montgomery wrote:
> > "Thomas Charron" <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >   Where do you find anything that says it uses a proprietary
> > > protocol? It's using NMEA-0183.
> >
> > In case it's of any use, two Linux programs I've used that have
> > some capabilities for communicating with a GPS are "gpsman" and
> > "gpsbabel".  Debian, for example, has packages for them.
>
> Thanks.  I tried those.  They can deal with the tracking logs,
> BUT only after I've used the windows program to pull the logs off
> the device.

With gpsman I can move tracks and waypoints to and from my Magellan
Meridian GPS.  It may not know how to talk to your unit, though.
It might be worth trying the Garmin protocol; the docs suggest it
includes some part of NMEA-0183.

What I can't do, now that my Windows installation has gone belly-up,
is upload maps to the unit.  ;(

cgm