Disk IO benchmarking

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Jan 17 11:14:30 EST 2008

On 01/17/2008 11:02 AM, Sarunas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm building a new system and would like to use that chance to do some
> disk I/O performance testing: Linux software RAID vs. 3ware hardware
> RAID and different RAID-x arrangements with SATA drives. Debian Etch or
> Ubuntu Hardy, amd64, ext3 filesystem. Until now I was using bonnie++,
> dbench and hdparm... Would there be any suggestions for other
> benchmarking tools? Other tests?

bonnie++ is pretty good at testing, we used it at $EMPLOYER for doing
similar comparisons a few years ago.

Depending on the CPU speed, you may find that software RAID is faster
than hardware RAID as we did way back when.  We stuck with a hardware
card mostly for ease of setup, administration, and how easy it was to
locate and replace failed drives - it's not as easy to do with software
RAID-based systems.

-Mark