Friday afternoon hardware questions

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Sun Jan 20 19:02:47 EST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 08:07, Ben Scott wrote:

>   In addition to Bruce's great wisdom: Where they overheating as in
> "measured temperature too high", or overheating as in "more cooling
> made them work"?

Both as in, "ouch! damn, that offline drive is hot" and then it
worked after cooling it down, and now stays cool being isolated from
the others.

> If the later, it's likely a component which is worn
> out is starting to have marginally acceptable performance.  Cooling
> things down will usually help such situations.

Yeah, I'm probably on borrowed time, but with mirrors and backups I'm
probably more risk-tolerant than paranoid at the moment.  Plus these
are only $83 drives now, while the 1TB drives sing their
'consolidation' siren song to me, at about the same $/GB.  And I'd be
better off with a SATA shelf so I could smartmon them all... at some
point the cost/benefit ratio will probably tip that way.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/