Disk IO benchmarking

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Sun Jan 20 19:31:27 EST 2008

On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:43, Ben Scott wrote:

>   I typically prefer hardware RAID for the same reasons.  Especially
> booting under fault conditions.  I can never really bring myself to
> trust that with software RAID, given all the weird problems I've seen
> with boot loaders over the years.

It's best to boot from RAID-1, so if you do have these problems you
can boot off a drive as if it weren't RAID, and then rebuild the pack
when your hardware is straightened out.  Software RAID is also good
for when your RAID controller lets the magic smoke out on Saturday
afternoon at 4, since there's little to no commonality among RAID
headers from various manufacturers.  Where hardware RAID is important
I spec an onsite spare for this situation (an onsite support contract
with a good SLA would be another way to do this).  Otherwise we run
software RAID-1 and change hardware easily.

It's also much faster on the gear I've been using.  I tried setting
up a server recently with a 3Ware 9550SX-8 with hardware mirrors, for
easy swap-n-replace for offsite backup.  This turned out to be far
too slow for the system to be useful.  I re-did the drives as 8
'single-unit RAID' volumes (JBOD doesn't seem to work for BIOS) and
used Linux software RAID and got something like 6.5x performance
boost, according to IOZone.  This was on a Xeon, at 2.66/1.33GHz, IIRC.

I'm also starting to compile IOZone files for flash sticks.  I wish
there were a nice way to normalize these among hosts, because then an
online repository would be possible, but I don't think that
technology exists yet, so for now I'm just benching them all on the
same hardware.

And I was incredibly dumb/tired and nuked those IOZone files from the
3Ware as I rebuilt the mirrors.  I would have liked to have seen
which kinds of operations were so slow (specific vs. uniform) but a
deadline prevented re-running the tests.

Oh, yeah, IOZone can take a *long* time for a full test.  I've had to
run it overnight on a slower (PNY) flash drive.  A comparable
Kingston (price/capacity) was about 2-3 hours.  Windows has the
[mumble mumble] flash test utility which claims to be better for
flash testing, but I haven't seen one for unix yet, if the claim even
has veracity.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/